Korean Honor Society (KHS)
- Mission Statement
The Korean Honor Society (KHS) aims to promote interest in the study of Korean, to reward scholastic achievement and to promote an understanding and appreciation of the Korean language, culture and civilization. The American Association of Teachers of Korean (AATK) and the K-12 Korean Language Teachers Association in USA (KLTA-USA) sponsor this organization.
- Korean Honor Society Constitution(Click Here)
- KHS Chapter and Membership Guidelines
- KHS Chapter Guidelines
- All accredited high schools in North America offering Korean language courses are eligible to establish a Korean Honor Society Chapter.
- Faculty sponsors must first become a member of the AATK and the KLTA-USA; the KHS is co-sponsored by both organizations. After that, they must apply to establish a KHS chapter at their respective schools.
- KHS Membership Guidelines: Students who satisfy the following criteria may be nominated for KHS membership:
- Students have completed three semesters of Korean instruction at his or her school.
- Students must have achieved an average of 3.5 out of 4.0 (A- or 90%) or above in all Korean language courses including the semester of selection. They must also have maintained a general scholastic GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 (B- or 80%) or above for all secondary school credit including the semester of selection.
- Individual chapters may set additional eligibility requirements.
Contact KHS for more information: email@example.com
KHS Chapter Timeline
We accept applications in the spring semester. Please refer to the timeline for KHS applications below:
|Due Dates||New Chapters||Existing Chapters|
|February 15||Submit completed applications for a new KHS chapter and KHS membership online||Submit a completed application for KHS membership online|
|March 15||Receive notification of the review results (chapter and membership) via email||Receive notification of the review results (membership) via email|
|April 10||Submit chapter and membership fees via mail||Submit membership fees via mail|
|April 30||Receive chapter and membership certificates and induction materials via mail||Receive membership certificates and induction materials via mail|
|June 30||Submit an annual report online|
KHS Chapter/Membership Application Process
To become a member of the AATK and the KLTA:
- Faculty sponsors of school chapters must be members of the AATK and the KLTA-USA. Join the organizations using the following link and form.
- AATK (American Association of Teachers of Korean) Membership Application
- KLTA-USA (K-12 Korean Language Teachers Association USA) Membership Application
To establish a KHS Chapter at your school:
- Fill out the KHS Chapter application form in WORD and email it, along with proof of your membership in the AATK and KLTA, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your application is approved, the KHS committee will send you a notification.
For KHS membership and merchandise:
- Complete the KHS Certificate order form in WORD and submit it along with students’ transcripts to email@example.com. You can also order KHS cords and pins. You will be notified once the KHS committee approves the KHS membership requests. Please note that we accept applications via email only.
To submit an annual report online:
Contact KHS for more information or any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
KHS Chapters and Faculty Sponsors
- The King Sejong Chapter (Chapter #001) at Palisades Park High School in Palisades Park, NJ.
Faculty Sponsor: Ms. Jane Cho
- The Moo Goong Hwa Chapter (Chapter #002) at Ridgefield High School in Ridgefield, NJ.
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Olga Escobar
- The Shin Saimdang Chapter (Chapter #003) at Fairfax Academy for Communications and the Arts in Fairfax, VA.
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Song Johnston
- The Hun Min Jeong Eum Chapter (Chapter #004) at Francis Lewis High School in Fresh Meadows, NY.
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Jisun Kwon
- The Dae Han Min Guk Chapter (Chapter #005) at Lowell High School in San Francisco, CA.
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Soo Park
- The Dosan Ahn Changho Chapter (Chapter #006) at Glen A. Wilson High School in Hacienda Heights, CA.
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Eilene Shin
- The Kim Yushin Chapter (Chapter #007) at Oxford Academy in Cypress, CA.
Faculty sponsor: Mr. David Kim
- The Admiral Yi Sun-Shin Chapter (Chapter #008) at Palos Verdes High School in Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Esther (Yong Won) Kim
- The Peninsula Korean Chapter (Chapter #009) at Palos Verdes Peninsula High School in Rolling Hills Estates, CA
Faculty sponsor: Ms. June Choi
- The Hangeul Sarang Chapter (Chapter #010) at La Canada High School in La Canada CA
Faculty Sponsor: Ms. Grace Lee
- The Hwa Rang Chapter (Chapter #011) at Bronx Preparatory Charter School in Bronx, NY
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Eunjung Kim
- The Deep Rooted Chapter (Chapter #012) at Milpitas High School in Milpitas, CA
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Iwon Shin
- The Hongik Chapter (Chapter #013) at John F. Kennedy High School in La Palma, CA
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Grace Lee
- The Nuri Bom Chapter (Chapter #014) at Centreville High School in Clifton, VA
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Patricia Yu
- The Yoo, Gwan-Sun Chapter (Chapter #015) at Shermano Oaks Center for Enriched Studies in Tarzana, CA
Faculty sponsor: Ms. Regina Pak